Welcome to my blog, hope you enjoy reading
RSS

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

 My newest project for my miniature artist. The entire room was done for less than 100 dollars and it was a lot of fun. Keeping things easily organized is the best way to go with little ones. If you have 2 billion drawers, it's a sure fire guarantee that all of those tiny labels will go to waste.


The 2 end tables were found at my local Salvation Army on a 60% off day for 7 bucks total! I couldn't believe the steal. I didn't even have to paint them! I had some leftover green paint, so I bought 2 more shades of green in order to make the stripes. My daughter's favorite color is green, so it was an instant hit with her.

 
I had anticipated an easier drilling session, but it turns out that drilling in to books is a little trickier than it seems.  But I needed to keep it all very sturdy, so with the help of a nice, solid clamp, my husband and I were able to make it all work out. These shelves are made from an old wine shelf that my Mom had in my room when I was little. I simply pulled it apart and voila! I love the look of the box mounted to the wall. This way, there are 3 easy compartments- coloring books, instructional books (how to draw, craft books, etc.), and paper. Easy cheesy.

The storage was a cinch. Stickers in one drawer, supplies labeled on the bottom shelf, and craft kits up top. The blue basket is for toilet paper rolls only. My daughter can spend DAYS coming up with ideas for toilet paper roll crafts so I always keep lots of them on hand. The galvanized bucket is full of painting gear. Brushes, paints, etc. This way, it can get messy and won't leak all over the place.


This chair was my husband's project. He took one of our old kitchen chairs and sawed off the legs. Then he sanded the whole thing down and painted it yellow. He was also in charge of the chalkboard. We used the spray chalkboard paint because it was about 10 bucks cheaper. However, if I could go back, I think we'd go with the can of chalkboard paint. Little did we know, the plastic we used would not hold out spray paint so we ended up having to touch up a lot of white area with interior paint (which we already had).

I love the way my mason jars worked out for all of the small crafts. This way, it's very easy to see what is where and makes for less future mess. You will want to make sure you open the mason jar, and where the little circle disconnects from the screw on part, hot glue it. Or else you will have lots of missing tops with sharp edges. The boxes are some small gift boxes that I could never find use for and they're filled with foam stickers. Since I had so many, I only put out what would fit in those boxes. The rest are in 'craft storage' and I'll re-up as needed. FYI- googly eyes= best investment ever. Kids can make ANYTHING with enough of those little things.

 It's no secret that I adore my children's artwork. I love bulletin boards because we can constantly change up their constantly evolving masterpieces. But I also love framed art. I found all of these frames at various thrift stores for 50 cents or less apiece. Then I used some leftover spray paint and dolled them up. The bulletin board is covered with some scrap material that I hot glued around the edges to keep in place. I only frame the best pieces, that way the kids learn to be proud of their hard work and they don't spend 1/2 a minute on a drawing just to get it framed. For that, they can stick it on the board.

Along with the framed art, I like to leave out the glass altogether and put in some black construction paper. This makes for a great little chalkboard that is easily changed. Even if it doesn't erase all that well, it's super easy and cheap to either flip it over, or switch out the construction paper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment